Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's the simple, little things...

Let me start this by saying, I may come across as materialistic at times.  I'm not afraid to admit that I enjoy life's finer things (specifically designer handbags,diamonds and high end makeup).  And sometimes the consumerism that has been shoved down all of our throats clouds my vision.  We live in a society where bigger is better and keeping up with the Jones' is a way of life.  It's easy to get caught up in the mix.  Too easy.

These days I force myself to really think about what I already have instead of what I think I "need."  I am lucky in the reality that there has never been a time in my life where I have had to go without a true human necessity (food, clothing, shelter, etc.)  When I really think about it, my life has been full of abundance.  I was blessed with Parents and Grandparents who loved me very much and provided for me in every way possible.

When I start to think in this way, I begin to see what really is important.  I realize what is of real value in this life and it's not the "finer" things I mentioned before.  The truth is that I have always had more than enough and that is an amazing thing.

I am grateful.  Those words never seem adequate for the way my heart truly feels these days.  I'm sure it has something to do with getting *ahem* older, realizing that life is in actuality very short and having children of my own.

The change in my heart and mind to a place of gratitude came via a phone call one early June morning.  My brother's accident and the loss of his friend changed my life forever.  It makes me sad that it took something so tragic for my heart to understand, but it could have taken me to a very dark place instead.

I don't want to get too much into my religious beliefs here, but I have noticed that in times of tragedy people either lean on their God or shun him/her.  I leaned on love... and realized an appreciation for the smallest things I took for granted every day.  I used to only be consciously thankful for the big things, the obvious things.  Suddenly I was aware of the simple, little things that were of so much value but  went unnoticed.  I'm talking about the inhale and exhale, the very breath and essence of life.  I'm talking about waking up every morning with another chance to live and love again.

I am grateful for this life and everything in it... the good, the bad and the not so pretty.  I'm thankful for the struggle, the sacrifice and the pain.  Because it means I'm still alive and it makes the successes and happiness that much sweeter.  When you're thankful for what you already have, you'll always have more than enough.
For them... I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment